Wednesday 4 May 2016

Grasshopper Warbler

My patch neighbour (and rival) found two sedge warbler yesterday evening; I must confess, it made me a little envious as it's on my wanted list and I've spent many hours already this year scouring likely locations to see one myself. The last time I saw sedge warbler locally was a few years ago when a pair bred in a dyke near the equestrian centre.

So this morning, fuelled with optimism that his sighting was a sign that more were passing through, I got up early and headed for the oxbow lake. I walked around the water to the reed-beds but none were seen or heard. Not having long before work, I didn't hang around and headed despondently back to the car. Then in the scrub I'd just passed, I heard it, the characteristic reeling of a grasshopper warbler! Not a common bird locally by any means (in fact I think the only 3 modern records have all been found by me) and this is the first on my patch.

I had a hide in the car so rushed to fetch it and set it up in the hope the bird would break cover. Thirty minutes passed and all I could see was a little brown shape skulking out of view. Then just as I was about to give up, it jumped onto an exposed branch; bird 98 on my patch list and one I could only hope for (and worth being late for work to photograph).


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic shot, well worth your early start and it makes up for the lack of Sedge Warblers i'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam... I still want those tricky sedge warblers too!

      Delete
  2. Super photo, I have never seen, let alone photographed, a Gropper as well as that! They are also very occasional in my local area (near Beverley) and I haven't heard one for a few years. Maybe it is going to be a good year for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David... I think it's pot luck whether they turn up or not and you're there when they do! Re. getting photos: I carry a portable hide with me for these very situations. <£75 to cover up gets you as close as spending £000's on a big lens!

      Delete